Top 5 albums (not mentioning Oasis, who is always number one in my soul):
1. Spoon - "Gimme Fiction" : I don't like the idea that I share an opinion with Time magazine, but Spoon takes the best elements of indie music (minimalism, pop sensibility) and eschews the worst (pretentiousness, trying to look trendy). The product of Iggy Pop and Paul McCartney having a child.
2. Sigur Ros - "Takk" : If ineffable bliss were a movie, this would be its soundtrack.
3. Elbow - "Leaders of the Free World" : There are a lot of bands who base every song off a single riff with changing timbres and dynamic levels, whose likeability is entirely the product of the fact that their music is totally inoffensive to the ears (see Coldplay, U2). Elbow shits in their faces by doing what they can't.
4. British Sea Power - "Open Season" : Any band that writes the lyrics "It's all stored up in chemicals/Witness the demolition of boy in prime condition" automatically has a place in my heart.
5. The Dandy Warhols - "Odditorium" : It's a lot of fun to listen to and the first track is a story explaining how the band invented the electric guitar and rock 'n' roll music. Less Velvet-y and more 80sEngland-y.
Top 5 songs (that I can think of at this exact moment; only the first two will be there on any list I create):
1. Oasis - Mucky Fingers
2. Oasis - The Importance of Being Idle
3. John Cale - Satisfied
4. British Sea Power - North Hanging Rock
5. Prozzak - When I Think of You
Worst 5 songs (Nickelback could make up this entire list so we will exclude them altogether):
1. The Arcade Fire - Rebellion
2. Coldplay - Fix You
3. Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends (part of that is in brackets I think)
4. Foo Fighters - Best of You
5. Weezer - Beverly Hills
Top 5 bands I see on peoples' "what I'm listening to" that I wish didn't suck hardcore:
1. The Arcade Fire : This is the worst band of the year, hands down. Not even remotely good in any way. Pretentious beyond belief. Crap. Crap. Crap.
2. Broken Social Scene : Bust out the Chucks and the Buddy Holly glasses and being clad in all types of winter wear except a jacket.
3. Death Cab For Cutie : I saw a picture of this band. The girl must have been absent for the photo. Wait, what? Oh. Yeah.
4. The Postal Service : How mediocre can a band get? Like seriously, they're this years Serial Joe/All-American Rejects/Evanescence
5. TakingBackFalloutBoyUnderoathThrice : No. Go away. You kids need to grow up and stop wasting your time being losers.
5 things I feel the need to say about music I don't like:
1. Indie rock
2. Who the hell are Snow Patrol and Jakalope?
3. The dude from Bright Eyes (Bright Eyes might be his name, whatever) looks like a huge loser.
4. Lifehouse: did you just slightly change the lyrics to your other single and try and pass it off as a new one? I think you did.
5. Dear Theory of a Deadman: Chad Kroeger called, he wants his songs back. Oh, wait, they are his songs. Dipshits.